Amon Carter Riverside High School
Red Letter Dates and Fascinating Facts
August 1935 - Ground is broken for a new high school in Riverside; thousands attend a sunrise ground breaking ceremony.
September 15, 1936 - Riverside High School opens its doors to senior high and junior high students.
The school mascot, the Eagle, is chosen to honor the Eagle family who were influential in Riverside education for many years, from Dr. Daniel Eagle who built the first one-room Riverside school in 1876 to his grandson George Eagle, school board member who led the crusade to build a high school in Riverside.
January 28, 1937 - Sixteen mid-term graduates receive the first diplomas from Riverside High School. Did you know that the academic level only went to the eleventh grade back in those days?
February 1941 - The school board changes the name of the school to Amon Carter Riverside High School in honor of the Fort Worth civic leader. Students and community members protest at first, but the change is eventually accepted.
1948 - First Homecoming held; Ex-Student's Association organized.
1950 - Riverside Junior High School opened for grades 7 through 9, relieving overcrowding at Amon Carter Riverside High School.
mid 1950's - Band Hall and Shop Wing built, as well as the Athletic Field House.
1951 - Spring commencement exercises include the Star Telegram Publisher Mr. Amon G. Carter Sr. who is supposed to have received an honorary diploma. Mr. Carter never finished school, but he was instrumental in establishing Texas Tech University.
Fall 1958 - Carter goes to the state quarterfinals in
1959 - Carter finishes second in 4A State track meet.
1970 - Carter baseball makes it to the State Semifinals.
1974 - Largest ever graduating class has 211 students.
1980 - New gymnasium is built.
1981 - Building is air-conditioned.
1982 - The auditorium painting "Sacred Birds", a gift to Carter Riverside from Amon G. Carter is sold for over $50,000 and the proceeds used to establish a scholarship fund.
1982/1983 - The school football team also known as the "Crunch Bunch" made it to the District playoff's with the help of quarter back James Skinner and running back Anson "Mr. Touchdown" Silmon.
1983 - School board announced plans to close Carter Riverside; the community rallies and unites to keep the school open.
1983 - Historical marker placed on front lawn of the school.
1986 - 50th anniversary celebration draws hundreds.
1989 - New northwest wing built.
1995 - Carter Riverside again makes it to the playoffs in football.
1996 - Summer reunion activities drew over 700 former graduates back to the campus to celebrate the All 50's Reunion.
2001 - High school band increases to over 100 marching members and re-institution of the ROTC program enrolls 130 students.
2011 - The high school celebrates its 75 anniversary with many city dignitaries in attendance.
This site was last updated 02/16/18